The benefits of inclusion for students, educators and families
Inclusive school communities support all students - including those with disability – to thrive academically, socially, and emotionally. Inclusive education benefits teachers, leaders, families, and students with and without disability.
Benefits of inclusive education for students include:
- Career benefits after completing school.
- Positive learning environments and relationships with teachers.
- Greater community involvement.
- Learning that caters to their strengths and abilities.
- Positive values and attitudes towards diversity.
- Increased cooperation, social skills, and friendship opportunities.
Watch or share this brief animation in which a teacher explains the benefits of inclusive education for all families.
Teachers, leaders and education support staff
Benefits of inclusive education for teachers and education support staff include:
- Improved teacher-student relationships, including mutual respect.
- Increased job satisfaction due to positive student engagement.
- Broadening perspectives, and more innovative and reflective practices, leading to higher confidence and preparedness.
- Personal skill development (eg. problem solving), leading to positive social and working relationships.
Benefits of inclusive education for families include:
- All families feel more confident they can commit to work or study.
- Improved awareness and understanding of disability leading to more inclusive attitudes in the wider community.
- Improved connection within the school community.